Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Southern Mother's Day....




I have to say that I LOVE living in the south, I love the people, the climate, the scenery and I LOVE the native food!!! So this mothers day in honor of all things southern I treated my mama, and my mother in law to a classic southern "after church lunch" The Menu:
Tennessee Fire-Fried Chicken (my first time to fry anything!)
A colorful salad
Roasted Corn on the cob
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake (made my hubs and Caroline)
Sweet Tea (of course)

I looked at several Fried Chicken recipes before choosing this one. It was a hard choice there are some great ones out there, but this one sounds good to me with all the spicy stuff in it!! It turned out divine. The recipe came from my Blackberry Farm Cook Book. If you have never been there...YOU MUST GO TO BLACKBERRY. Its one of my MOST favorite places on this planet. The accomadations are breathetaking, the food, wine and things to do....INCREDIBLE. So sweet blog friends...check it...its a bit $$$ but I think worth it for a special vacay!!!! Lots of love and enjoy the recipe!

Kreis's Fire Fried Chicken

1 Quart Buttermilk
1/4 cup of hot sauce
1/4 cup of kosher salt
8 chicken drumsticks ( I used chicken breast)
8 chicken thighs
6 cups of vegtable oil, lard, or bacon grease for frying
4 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 cup of paprika
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Combine buttermilk, hot sauce, and salt in a large bowl. Add chicken, cover the bowl and regrigerate over night.

Heat of your large cast iron skillet and heat over high heat until a pinch of flour in the oil bubbles.

In a medium bowl combine flour, paprika, black pepper and cayenne. Working in batches, remove the chicken pieces from the buttermilk, coat them in the flour mixture, shake off the excess, and place them in the hot fat.

I suggest letting them cook on one side for about 8 minutes then flipping them over to the other side for another 8 minutes. Dont flip more than once or the batter will fall of! Just be patient and turn heat lower so you wont burn the batter.

Transfer chicken to a wire rack to drain; blot them with paper towels. Continue the process until all the chicken is cooked.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born and raised in Kentucky and my fried chicken is well loved here in NY! I use the very same recipe and my Mom gave me a classic cast iron skillet, though now I have a deep frier..which is easier.
    pve

    ReplyDelete